Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Empath: 6

To catch up on the other stories, click on the links below:


Chapter 1

Chapter 2


Chapter 4

Chapter 5





THE EMPATH:

SIX

CHAPTER VI: GOING BACK



Date:  Unknown

Mary's eyes slowly open.  She thinks she may be in her room, but is unsure as the room she's in looks different.

She is certain she is in her home.

"Oh good," a voice says to Mary.  "You're up."

Mary opens her eyes more to focus in better.  She is staring at a young girl that looks familiar to her.  She pretty much knows she's doing just more than sifting through the sands of time.

"What the," Mary begins to say.  She stops to blink her eyes a few times to make sure she's not hallucinating.

The young woman sighs.  "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

Mary recognizes that quote from Casa Blanca; that's her mom's favorite movie.

Mary recalls looking at pictures of Mallory--her mother--when she was younger.  The pictures between Mallory and Mary are different. Mary often remembers how her friends were shocked when they met her mother.

Mallory has blue eyes and brown hair.  Her skin is fair, not olive-toned at all like Mary's.

Mary opens her mouth but Mallory speaks.  "Before you go any further.  My name is Mallory, and you are my cousin, not my daughter."

Mary quickly closes her mouth.  She takes a second or two to think about it, and opens her mouth to speak.  "You get visions."

"You seem puzzled by that," Mallory implies.

"I just forget sometimes," she answers.  Mary isn't lying.  The truth is she forgets her mother has any powers because she gave them up long before Mary was ever born.  She's just lucky her mother can't read her mind.  They would be in trouble then.

"Hmm," Mallory puts her finger to her lips, and removes it to speak again.  "Perhaps it's best as well if you don't speak about your past, Mary."

Mary nods.  "Sounds fair."

"The only thing," Mallory begins.  "Is I didn't have a vision of that vampire boy you came here with."

"Vampire?"  Mary practically mutters.  "There's no such thing as vampires."

"Oh!  Have I like not mentioned anything to you about vampires, the supernatural, and such?"

Mary gives her mom a funny look.

Mallory takes note of the funny look on Mary's face.  "Sorry," she goes on.  "The vision of you appearing like totally came as a shock to me.  But I will try my best to not speak so," she pauses to find the right word.  "Valley."

Taking in a deep breath, Mallory breathes out slowly, and explains to Mary about the supernatural.

As Mary listens, she feels like she's a ghost, roaming through the woods.  She suddenly feels hollow, and yet, there is a lot about Jeremiah that is starting to make sense.

"I think Jeremiah can read minds," Mary speaks after Mallory is done explaining.

"Is Jeremiah the boy sleeping in the basement right now?"

"The basement," Mary questions.  She is starting to remember the basement was where she was before waking up in the bedroom.  "Did you find me in the basement too?"

"Yes," her mother answers.  "I brought you upstairs, and put the vamp," she pauses to retract her last word.  "Jeremiah on the couch."

"I don't even understand why I'm here," Mary shakes her head.  "What year have I arrived in?"

"Today is Friday, June nineteenth, the year nineteen-eighty-seven."

"Is today a special day?"

"No," Mallory answers in more of a questioning tone.  She gives it some thought and speaks.  "Tomorrow is prom though."

"Prom?"  Mary thinks out loud to herself.  "Why would she send me to this day, just before prom?"

"Who?"

"I thought you said not to give you too much information."

"Yes," she replies.  "But perhaps you were sent here so I can help you."

"Chartreuse Anderson.  Everyone calls her Char though."

"Anderson, huh," Mallory says.  "That's funny.  There's a Charlene Smith at school, and she's friends with someone named Kane Anderson."

Mary sucks in her breath.  She knows the words she's about to say out loud.  She was given a precognition just last night--or twenty-years into the future now--of her dancing with Jeremiah in her dream.

"I suppose prom will be my raison d'ĂȘtre," she finally speaks as she recalls a memory.  Char told Mary this was the deal, whatever that meant.

Mary gets out of bed, puts on the clothes Mallory already had picked out for her, and heads down to the basement to explain to Jeremiah what's going on.
****
The Empath, Chapter Six,

9 comments:

  1. I like this segment! Mysteriously revealing it is!
    8 points Earthling! :)

    Marvin

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an engaging story! I am totally immersed in it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I felt like I wasn't pulling enough weight in this or the last chapter because I've been working so much. Thank you so much for reading. :)

      Delete
  3. Am I third?
    You have completely intrigued me with this tale Diana.
    Stormy

    ReplyDelete
  4. very good , look forward to more

    ReplyDelete

Comments