Saturday, December 26, 2020

42.13


Ecrits Blogophilia Week 42.13 Topic: The Meaning of Dreams
Hard Bonus (2 points): Mention a Childhood Memory
Roller skating

Easy Bonus (1 point): Include Something Battery Operated
Phone

Epilogue

I thought all would be fine by the time we arrived back in our time. I got up this morning to go through my usual routine. I went for a jog, took a shower, went off to work. Carter did his thing too. It was like we just resumed our normal activities.

Luckily for us, Lacy's tricks didn't affect much for us. I still have my Scrappy. My sister and my niece are still the same people. Only now I know they're not my actual sister and niece, but that doesn't matter. I will always love them like we are blood.

It turned out my dad--Lucas or Lucifer--was doing what was best for me, his true daughter. It's complicated. Life itself is complicated. It's all about how we handle our complications. Like bizarre dreams we have. We try to understand the meaning of those dreams. Most are utter nonsense. Others are your conscious telling you something. Then there's premonition.

Precognition is the better word for when you're dreaming of the future. Cryptic little details that even someone like me fails to miss. I had a dream when I took a nap.

It was a dream of me as a little girl. I was roller skating. I had seen my mom, laughing and having a good time with me. We were in a roller rink. She turned around and said, "I need your help."

Now, I'm awake. I know that I've been summoned. I realize now that it was Catherine I had seen in my dream. I don't know how this is even possible considering she should be in her own time.

"What's wrong?" I turn to see Carter.

"What are you doing here?"

"I had a feeling something was wrong. I'm right, aren't I?"

"I forget sometimes how easily in sync you are with me."

He walks up to me, and pulls me in his arms. I wrap my arms around him. "I guess we were just meant to be."

"I guess so," I say. I reach up on my tippy toes and kiss him.

"Hello?" I sigh as I hear a voice coming from outside the room. Carter and I walk out to find Jeremiah.

"Cousin," Carter greets him. "Is everything alright?"

"I apologize for the intrusion," he begins. "No. It's not alright. It seems as though Catherine has disappeared."

"My dream," I mutter.

"Dream?" They both say simultaneously. 

"Yes. I had a dream of my mother. Or I thought it was my mother. She asked me for help." I gasp as I look up at both of them. "I realize now it was Catherine asking me for help."

"Do you know where she is?" I can tell Jeremiah is genuinely worried. His second trip back in time brought him closer to Catherine.

I look to Carter. "I need to sit down and meditate." He nods and lets me sit down. I sit and close my eyes. There are flashes forming in my mind. Clothing older than the Victorian era. It's like they're all straight out of a Jane Austen novel.

I see one woman that looks like me. She's definitely my doppelganger, though there is something different about her. I realize this is Valentina. She is the true daughter of the count. I clear my thoughts again to focus. I try to locate Catherine.

I search the vision more. In the Carterson Woods, there is a giant maple tree. I see someone tied up, and a man dressed like a priest saying some kind of incantation. I peer closer to see it's Catherine tied up. I quickly open my eyes.

"She's being persecuted," I gasp. I look over at Jeremiah. "I'm guessing by the clothing, they're back in your original era. Didn't you say you were originally from the late eighteenth century."

Jeremiah nods. "It's where it all began. Poor Valentina was sentenced for being a witch!"

"And yet she's still alive?" I raise my eyebrow at him.

He nods. "Catherine agreed to save her."

"She must have had unfinished business."

The two men just stare at me waiting for me to speak.

"My job is to just go back to the fixated timeline. Time traveling can have serious consequences. When I sent everyone back to their time, Catherine must have gone back to her fixated point of time."

"But why would she want to do that?"

I shrug. "I don't know. To right a wrong, perhaps." I take a deep breath. "Even if so, this version of her doesn't deserve to be prosecuted. We have to go back and save her." 

I get up off the couch. I say an incantation, and within seconds, the three of us are dressed in Georgian era clothing. I take my phone, and place it in the pouch of my dress.

"Are you ready for an adventure?" I hold out my hands. Carter grabs one hand, and Jeremiah grabs the other one.

I say one more incantation, and we are off to the late eighteenth century.

DJ

Topic: Jessica
Picture: Colleen

Picture Phrase Guesses
1. Winter Wonderland
2. Snow White Queen
3. Snow Fox
4. Snow fall

I have no idea.

Sorry. It's been a craptastic week! So much for thinking this new year would be better than this!

3 comments:

Comments