Saturday, December 5, 2020

Chapter 10: 39.13 Write -- Lexie's Story

 


I was originally going to use Tiger Army as my punk band. But they're called Psychobilly music. Psychobilly is a combination of Punk and Rockabilly. It would be like if the Stray Cats did a collab with the Ramones at some point.

Topic: Irene
Picture: Christopher

Picture Phrase Guesses:

1.) Frozen
2.) Do you want to build a snowman
3.) It doesn't have to be a snowman
4.) Well, OK, bye.
5.) Frosty
6.) Blizzard
7.) Winter Wonderland
8.) Jack Frost
9.) I'm watching you
10.) Scout's honor

Chapter 10

It's only late September, but it is freezing here in Maine. Perhaps I've lived in Florida for far too long. It won't be long before Maine has their first frost. I've read about their weather. They expect some freezing temperatures that can start in late September.

I probably won't be building a snowman anytime soon. I can't stay too long in a time period that doesn't belong to me. I might be messing something up. In fact, it was pretty risky for Carter to have me meet his niblings Lora and Colin.

Then again, if I hadn't met them, I would have never found that time traveling spell. The spell that no one should ever have. I'm glad I changed the spell. My job is to go back in time to fix it. I can't imagine some meshuggeneh that might alter time to fit their needs. That would mean more trouble for me.

I can't let my mind wander. I have to save Carter. I take several deep breaths, and look over at my allies. We've discussed a plan a few times. I did explain that plans don't often go as follows, but it's always good to have a plan.

I'm going down to the sea of fire, I say to myself, quoting Tiger Army. The three of us head to the mansion. Now is the time when everything comes into full force.
 
I enter through the door. No one is in the lobby area. I open the doors to the living room. It's no surprise to me when I see the count with his minion and Lacy.

"I see you didn't come alone," the count says to me.

"Right," I reply. "Because I wasn't born yet, you expected me to be alone."
 
"Cute. But you know what I want."
 
"Actually, I really don't."
 
"My dear," he begins. "I'm a weak and dying man. All I want to do is time travel. I cannot do this alone. Not in this body."
 
"So, what do you want from me?"
 
"I want you to give me the power to time travel. I want you to heal my body."
 
"And I would like to see the Ramones perform at CBGB's, but I can't do the impossible."
 
"Ah," he chuckles lowly. "I believe you can. In fact, I believe I have enough motivation for you to give me what I want." 
 
He points over to my right. I look to see Lacy coming out of a hidden door with Carter tied up. She places him far enough so that I can't reach him. Then she's holding a gun to him.
 
"Those are not ordinary bullets in there," he says. I turn back to face him briefly before staring incredulously over at Lacy. "These particular bullets are made out of silver, and silver nitrate. One shot, and it will be a matter of moments before the liquid silver goes through his blood stream and kills him."

"Alex," I turn to Carter. He's weak. The rope he's tied in is bound with silver liquid and wolf's bane. I can smell the strong odor of the silver nitrate. "Don't do it. Don't give him what he wants."

"What did you do to him?" Jeremiah demands.

"A little something like this." I watch as he uses his hand to fly a stake into Jeremiah's heart. "That should have done the trick the first time around." 

Apparently, my father doesn't know that I changed Jeremiah's DNA vampire structure, though he should have guessed, since it is broad daylight. When evil people are desperate, they fail to notice changes. I mentally tell Jeremiah to stay calm. I'll be there to help soon. Though there's not much he can do. He's paralyzed until I can remove the stake.

"And you," I look back to see him putting a choke hold on Catherine. "I may be weak, but my powers are still greater than yours."

I'm frozen as I hear her gag. There's only so much I can do. I'm just one being.

"Now," the count continues. In a split second, I watch as Lacy shoots the gun.

"No," I cry out, but it's too late. She shot him in the shoulder.

Out of nowhere, I feel a sudden change of seasons in the room. One minute, it was drafty like fall weather, with a small fire burning in the fireplace. Now it's a summer inferno. I could feel the light forming throughout my body like a fire. 

I can feel myself floating in the air. Everyone around me takes a gasp, but I do not have the time to freak out. I have to save everyone.

"You," I pause, staring at the count. My voice is booming loud like a god. "The three of you will pay for your crimes."

I look to the fireplace, and call for a bounty hunter out of the ashes. I create the ultimate bounty hunter. Black smoke forms, and an ashy, burly man comes crawling out of the fireplace. "You will now spend an eternity down below."

The bounty hunter grabs the count and his minion. They scream, but through the ashy shadow, the bounty hunter smiles. He takes the two men into the fireplace with him.

I look over at Lacy. "Oh sis," I begin. "What am I going to do with you?"

"Alex," Carter says hoarsely. "She was spelled. Everything she did was under the influence of the count."

I look from Carter back to Lacy. I watch as she shakes her head and throws down the gun. She looks in shock. "What have I done?" She looks over to me. "I'm so sorry Lexie."

I slowly descend, and the white light disappears from my body. "Where's the antidote?"

She shakes her head no. "I might have been spelled, but I was aware of everything going on. I was a zombie. I was not in control. There is no antidote."

"Alex, darling," a familiar voice calls to me.

I look around to see nothing. "Dad?"

Catherine walks over to me. "Who are you talking to?"

I give myself a mental shake. "Never mind. What's important is to carefully remove the stake from Jeremiah." Catherine nods and does as I request.

"Can I help?" I look to see Lacy.

I nod. "Close the door to the living room, and make sure no one comes in." She bows her head, and does as she's told.

I hurry over to Carter. I open up his shirt. I can see the silver spreading through his veins. He only has a matter of minutes. I magically remove the bullet from his shoulder. The poison is still spreading. What do I do? I ask quietly.

"Alex, you can heal him." This time I know I'm hearing my dad speak.

"What? I don't understand."

"Trust me."

"How can I heal him?"

That light. Find that fiery light again. Place it on his shoulder, and you will heal him.

I inhale deeply. I try to find that light inside me I used, but it's faded.

"Think about what that count did to you. You almost lost your friends. You almost lost your family. He put you under a spell."

A spell I'm still under, I remind myself.

"For now, you have to get angry," he continues. "Aren't you angry for what he's done to you?"

I think about my dad's words. He's right. I'm pretty angry, though I'm more slightly annoyed having to go through this drama to begin with. All the events. He tried killing Jeremiah twice. He possessed Carter, and he tried to get me to do the very thing that goes against my principles.

The fiery white light comes back, and I place it on Carter's shoulder. I watch as his head snaps back. The light is healing him. Within seconds, he's healed, but now I'm dizzy.

I've used far too much power today. I go to fall, but Jeremiah quickly picks me up thanks to his vampire speed. Everything else fades to black.


©DJ 12.5.2020





12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm almost done with the story. I just have about two or three more chapters left.

      Delete
  2. Interesting segment. I might have missed something along the way. No fun getting dizzy when she uses her power.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. This is a very different situation. Sorry I spaced the stories out so long.

      Delete
  3. Very cool and interesting write. A good way to begin the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad Lacy wasn't really a "bad guy"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She wasn't. There's always time for change.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you! It's almost near completion. I have an idea for two more stories.

      Delete

Comments