Sunday, April 10, 2016

The List: Four






To catch up:

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3


It always goes back to the list
The one that gets lost in the mist
And watch the colored dragonfly
Becomes the innocent passer by

The topics embedded in mind
Leaves you to fall down behind
It's best to just find the real you
The broken pieces filled with glue



FOUR

"What?"  Cristi begins.  "Don't tell me you've never had a guy into you before."

"I've been homeschooled," I answer honestly with her.  "I wouldn't even know how to tell if a guy is into me.  Besides, I have other plans, and a guy is just not on my list."

"You have a list?"  She asks.  "Like a bucket list."  There's that word again.  "I thought only old people did those things."

"And very young people who have trouble focusing, and need a list to create in order to fulfill their dreams," I interject.

"Hmm, yeah.  I guess I never thought of it that way.  How long have you been making a list?"

"Since I've been homeschooled," I answer.  I really don't know how else to answer that.  I just woke up one day, and decided that a list needed to be made.

"So, then, tell me," she pauses.  "What's first on your list?"

I go to speak when she interrupts.  "Oh, my God!  That is so rude of me!  I don't know why I even asked that.  It's none of my business at all."

"It's okay.  It's not that big of a deal.  The first thing on my list is to live my life like any normal teenager would.  I want to experience the high school life.  That means dances and after school programs.  Today I'm planning on trying out for the cheerleading team."

"Oh my! That sounds so cool!  I've never thought about doing something like that before.  Do you mind if I try out with you?"

I shrug.  "Sure."  I look at my schedule.  "I have Chemistry in room two twenty-four, do you know where that is?"

"Yes," she seems sad.  "It's just three doors down, to the right.  I have to make up some algebra classes, and I believe this is where we part ways.  What period do you have lunch?"

I look at my schedule.  "Um, I am free fifth period."

"Okay then I'll see you in the cafeteria."

"Sounds good," I say.

We part ways, and just before I reach the door to the classroom, I hear someone mention the word aphrodisiac.  That's a rather strange word for someone to say.  I don't want to look to see who's talking, but I can't help myself.  I can feel someone staring at me again.  Please don't let it be Xander.

I look up, and it is him.  I wonder how much he heard me say to his sister.  Our eyes lock for a brief moment.  But in that brief moment, it feels like an eternity.  I am staring right into his blue-green eyes.  I couldn't tell this morning if they were blue or green due to it being dark out still, but they really are a blue-green color; much like the ocean.

I break our stare and I head into the classroom.  I show my schedule to the teacher.  She looks at it and smiles at me.  "Welcome to the class, Kalura.  Is there a nickname you go by?"

I guess Kalura is just so strange, people feel funny saying it.  I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain my name to people.  Who knew a name with six-letters, and three syllables, would be so confusing?

I smile back at her.  "Some call me Kallie with a K," I reply.

"Welcome to our school, Kallie.  Have a seat, and we'll begin when the bell rings."

I take my seat just as the second bell rings.  I didn't want to sit in anyone's seat, and so I waited for everyone to sit down.  I notice there's room up front, by the door.  I choose to sit there.

The teacher turns on the movie screen, and looks over at me.  "Kallie?  Would you mind turning off the lights?"

I smile and turn off the lights that's right above my head.

"Thank you."

I had no idea the first day of school is filled with random poetry, and watching films.  I was confused as to how a student already had a poem submitted for school, but then Cristi passed me a note telling me how Tawny is fifteen, and is expected to graduate from high school this year.  Apparently she spends her summers in school to earn credit.  Mr. Club liked her poetry so much, he decided to read it on the first day of school.

"How does chemistry work in your every day life?"

The voice on the screen interrupts my thoughts, and I find myself watching the documentary.  Since I have focus issues, I figure it'll be best to take out my notebook and write down some notes.  That is how I learn the best.

The documentary is comparing chemistry to people.  In some cases, while people are opposite, they tend to attract each other--and in other cases, they tend to be the polar opposites, much like magnets, or chemicals you combine.  The right chemicals will create something beautiful, and the wrong ones could possibly burst.

I don't really know that much about life, or people.  To me, this is all just the beginning.
***









DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments