Thursday, October 1, 2015

The Empath: 9

To catch up, here are the links:

Chapter 1                Chapter 2                Chapter 3                Chapter 4

Chapter 5                Chapter 6                Chapter 7                Chapter 8


And now...

CHAPTER 9


Far and wide across the universe 
And in the land of infinite miles 
You'll find there's a lot of gray 
In between black and white tiles

Looking in a world beyond the stars 
In through a world of crooked styles 
You'll find between black and white 
There lies a lot of gray-shaded smiles

©Diana Jillian


Mary always admired Tomoko's spirit. Tomoko is always able to see through people.  She forewarned Mary that Brave and Chartreuse would be nothing but trouble.  Mary sensed it, but deep down inside, she always felt she could help out the pair and become friends.

Well, she was able to become Brave's friend.  Not so much of a friend with Chartreuse.  For a moment, Mary thought she was handling a situation with Char, but seeing her best friend next to her is proof none of that is happening right now.

Mary and Tomoko are in Tomoko's house, in her bedroom, watching a movie. Mary looks up and notices an abstract painting of some sort.

"Huh," Mary says.  "Where did you get that painting?"  She looks over at Tomoko.

Tomoko looks up and notices the painting.  "I have no idea."  She looks at Mary.  "Do you know why you're here?"

Mary gives her friend a strange look and laughs a bit.  Mary tends to let out a laugh when she feels she's being put in an awkward position.

"You asked me to come over," Mary answers.

"I brought you here."

"Um, yeah," Mary says with confusion.  "You invited me over."

She shakes her head.  "No.  Mary.  You're not listening to me."

Tomoko's dark brown eyes are practically piercing into Mary's light brown eyes.

"Toko," Mary begins.  "You're starting to scare me.  What's going on?"

"I'm inside your mind," Tomoko replies.

Mary looks away and laughs.  "You expect me to believe you're inside my mind?"

"Look around you," she says.  "You know that painting is not in my room.  You must be half-conscious somewhere.  What's the last thing you remember?"

Mary looks away.  She hops off the bed and starts pacing on the floor. Mary inhales to speak.

"I was at prom when I," she trails off.  She's never told her friend about her powers of empathy.

"Mary," she turns to face her friend.  "It's okay.  I know about your empathy."

Mary looks at her in shock.  "You do?"

"Yes."

"But how?"

"The same way we're talking now," she replies.  "I can get inside people's heads to see what's going on."

"Oh," Mary answers.  She didn't need to know more.  She remembers the time her and Tomoko talked about having secrets and still being friends.

"I only enter people's heads when I sense they're in danger," Tomoko continues.

"You think I'm in trouble?"

"Think of your mind as a hidden fortress," Tomoko says.  "You're safe here.  Char can't read minds.  I'll try to help you as much as I can from my time, but the rest is up to you.  I will try to send Jeremiah your way."

"Jeremiah?"  Mary questions.  She starts to remember more.  She remembers prom, and she remembers being alone when she went chasing after Chartreuse, who is going by the name Charlene.

"Yes," Tomoko answers.  "Char is very good at blocking others.  She's got a shield on.  Even I can't see where you're at."  She stops talking to think a bit.  "But of course she can't be that good because I was able to get inside your head."

 Mary stares at her friend, while doing some thinking herself.  When she gets back to her time, she will have a long talk with Toko, and tell her everything.

"I'm going to work on a spell," Tomoko speaks. 

Mary snaps out of her reverie.  "A spell for what?"

"To go back to where ever you are.  I have to warn the others.  Where are you anyway?"

"Nineteen eighty-seven," Mary gives a puzzling look.

"And you just mentioned prom," she says with a smile.  "Hang in there.  I'll get help."

"Wait!  Don't leave."

"I have to," she replies.  "Besides, right now is probably not the best time to have a life crisis.  There will be plenty of time later.  You need to be brave.  Wake up, and face this.  Patronize her if you have to."

Mary nods.  "I'll see you soon," her tone is questioning.

"Yes you will," Tomoko replies with a smile.  

And just like that, her best friend was gone.

Mary hears a song with some background singers.  She turns to see where the sound is coming from, but it's not from anywhere in the room she is in.  She knows it's time for her to wake up.

*** 

18 comments:

  1. I enjoyed 1987 quite a bit - think it be a pretty good place to be

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. I took a three month hiatus from writing these stories.

      ~~DJ

      Delete
  2. I am enjoying this series. :)
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you got back into this story! Mind/time traveling is fascinating to me!

    8 points Earthling! ::)

    Marvin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I just wish I had more time to work on this story though.

      ~~DJ

      Delete
  4. this is a great story!! 1987 was a good year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember it....kind of. I was nine/ten that year. :)

      ~~DJ

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful write you pen thanks much fer taggin me .. Hugs

    Bettie

    ReplyDelete
  6. The art of getting into someone's head...I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, the world of sorcery is a wondrous thing! ;)

      ~~DJ

      Delete
  7. Nice job Diana ~Christine W

    ReplyDelete
  8. So happy to see you continuing this story! Very good dialogue and it's got me wanting more, more more! Also a nice poem at the start, well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks...It was from last week's prompts. I ran out of time! :)

      ~~DJ

      Delete
  9. I love it! The wonderful story continues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm going to make it a series of short-stories. I'm just about to wrap this one up! :)

      ~~DJ

      Delete

Comments