Sunday, May 15, 2016

The List: Eight



Stepping Stones
Quote Batman
"You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?"
Batman 1989
Mention the word "Exercise"

Picture...


To Catch Up:

THE LIST: CHAPTER INDEX

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7



Eight

 I always make sure to get up extra early because after an exercise, you tend to get sweaty.  And when you get sweaty, you need a shower.  Which is what I have decided to do after I threw the letter in the trash bin.  I decide to focus on my breathing, and I hop in the shower.

After getting out, I wipe down the mirror so I can see my face, but something catches my eye. I look at the back of my shoulder; the part where I thought someone tapped in the park, and see a bruise on there.  Though this bruise looks like someone threw a pebble at me.  Maybe a rock of some sort did fly up at me.  There are city trucks that usually fly by, and their tires frequently throw a rock up in the air at some point.  But it's over and done with, and I'm onto getting ready for my second day of school.

I decide to wear a long, tulle skirt in beige.  I put on some blue leggings, and a shirt to match those leggings.  I throw on some ballerina flats, and head over to the mirror to fix my hair and makeup.  I'm looking a bit pallid today.  The bags are really dark under my eyes today.  I don't really want to scare the people at school, so it's a good idea to try and look my best.

I walk out into the dining room to have some breakfast, and Ame is just staring at me.

"What?"  I ask her.

"Why are you dressed like a little old lady?"

I scoff.  "I'm not dressed like an old lady."

"Maybe not your clothes," she states while looking me up and down.  "But you do need to do something about your hair."

I touch the bun on my head.  "What's wrong with my hairstyle?"  There really isn't much I can do with my short hair.  I was actually surprised--and happy--I was able to fit my hair into a bun.  That means my hair is growing longer.

She says nothing but, "Let me fix it, please?"

I roll my eyes.  "After breakfast."

"Well, I finished mine," she practically brags.  "I'll get all the supplies ready.  I will see you in your room, yeah?"

For the Floridians we are, I don't know how we sometimes sound so northern when we speak. Perhaps it's because Florida gets a lot of snowbirds down here.  I don't say anything to her.  I nod my head yes as she heads for my room.  I go to sit down, where Nora serves me breakfast.  I told her not to serve me, but she always insists.  I stopped arguing with her after awhile.

"There is something not right with that child," Nora says lowly to me after Ame walks away.

"Oh, Nora," I say.  "She just doesn't know how to react with me.  I'm hoping eventually, she'll start treating me like a regular, ordinary person, and not someone who needs to be fixed."

"I suppose you're right," she tells me.  "I know she is family and all, but you need to still stay wary of her.  Well, mostly her family."

"It's alright," I say.  "I chose to go back to school.  I have to remain civil with others, even if they don't always agree with my decisions.  That's life.  Not everyone is going to agree with you."

She gives me a hug.  "When did you become so grown up?"

I hug her back.  "Since I have a great mother figure," I reply.

She lets go of me so I can eat.  After I finish eating, I sigh, and head into the bedroom for Ame to style my hair the way she sees fit.
****
Ame threw my hair halfway back with a hair clip.  She thought it looked better than the bun I had in my hair.  It doesn't matter anymore.  Cristi found me, and is practically dragging me to her group.  It just so happens to be the same group her brother, Xander, is in.  She starts introducing me to people I probably won't remember their names anyway.

"And this is Chase," Cristi finishes her introductions.

Chase looks at me as if to say, "Hello," or something, but he doesn't bother to say anything.  I wonder if I did something wrong.  Sometimes in life, there will be people who won't like you.  Not really for any reason in particular; they just don't like you.  I'll try to do my best to keep away from him.

"Hey I got to bounce," Chase says, and just like that, he's gone.  After hearing him speak, it makes sense why he said nothing.  That was the voice I heard making a reference to me being the new wine yesterday.

"Hey," Cristi says to me.  I stop staring at Chase--who has practically run away--and I look over at her.  "Sorry about yesterday after school."

"It's cool," I tell her.  "I kind of figured you weren't feeling so good yesterday at lunch."

"You noticed that, huh?"  She looks up at her brother.  I look at the two of them exchanging glances with each other.  It doesn't take a genius to figure out what's going on, but that's none of my business.  I have to focus on being as young at heart for as long as possible, and I also have to focus on my list.

The first bell rings, and I tell the group I will see them later on.  I head to class, and everything seems pretty much normal for the rest of the day.

******
Cheerleading practice went well.  Ame and the rest of the cheerleaders seem really impressed with me.  They think I'm ready for the pep rally at the hockey game Friday night.  That's only three days away.  I can only hope I can be ready for it.  Then I can cross off being an official cheerleader from my list.

I give myself a mental shake as I head to my locker.  I have to grab a few books to study for as there will be a quiz on Thursday.  They do quizzes on Thursdays as opposed to Fridays because I guess Fridays are exciting days for seniors.  I guess I'll find out in a few days time.

I go to open my locker and something falls out onto the floor.  I bend down to pick it up.  There is a red rose with a note attached to it.  I look around to see the halls are empty.  Ame went home straight from the gym, and Cristi--as far as I know--left as soon as school let out.

I open the letter and it reads:

You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

Great!  I think to myself.  He's quoting Batman.  I roll my eyes--much like I had done this morning--but now I am starting to recall something.  The handwriting looks exactly like the note I received this morning.  I guess I'll have to take the note out of the trash to see if it's from the same person.

I head to the car to find Smith waiting for me.  For once in my life, I am actually glad my parents got me a bodyguard.




****

http://thethinkywriter.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-list-eight.html






6 comments:

  1. FIRST! Oh my, I love when I get to say that haha!

    Well now is there anything more romantic than quoting Batman? I will say that a Venusian dressed up as Catwoman would do it for me. Continue on, we love this story. 8 points, Earthling!

    - Marvin Martian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I just used to watch that movie so much, that line was probably one of my favorite lines....That, and what the world needs is an enema! LOL. I guess Jack Nicholson as the Joker had all the best one-liners!!!!

      Thank you so much for stopping by! And for the points! And for being FIRST!!! :)

      DJ

      Delete
  2. okay NOT first. The comments on here are a bit misleading. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I put in a FB plug in when some were having problems with commenting....

      DJ

      Delete
  3. Quoting Batman doesn't seem the best path to success with a woman, but maybe times have changed since I was in that game

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's not his best chance...LOL....I didn't do a lot of research on the Batman quotes.

      DJ

      Delete

Comments