Sunday, May 1, 2016

The List: Seven






To catch up:

The List Chapter Index

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6

The List: Seven


Some say silence is golden, but I prefer to have my headphones in my ears. Some days, I listen to a radio app while jogging, other days I'll just have my own playlist or album to listen to.  Today is a Disturbed kind of mood.  It's also a great escape from life for awhile.  I once heard a great quote that said something along the lines of escapism is survival.  That is a very true term for me.



I use jogging and listening to music as means to escape from every day life.  I also escape through books and writing.  I guess pretty much anything you do to keep yourself busy are means of escaping from every day realities.  Who doesn't want to escape anyway?

I know my time by my songs, mostly.  I know by the end of track 4--that's the end of the song called The Sickness--I will have to head back home and get ready for school.  I'll be ready for day two today, or at least I hope so.

I don't mind going to school with Ame, and I don't mind hanging out with Cristi; I just don't want to wind up seeing Xander, although the tap I just received on my shoulder tells me the opposite.  I stop abruptly and look over my shoulder, but don't I see anyone.

I slow down and come to a complete halt when I notice there's no one in the park but me--and Smith, my bodyguard, of course--I take my headphones out of my ears and look around.  Smith is giving me a strange look.

"Did you just tap me on my shoulder?"

"Um, no ma'am," he replies in his thick, southern accent.  Smith, too, is from the real south as well.  By real south--because I know you're thinking Florida is real south--I mean where the southern accents come from.  Smith just so happens to also be from Louisiana, like Nora.

I shrug.  It could have been my imagination just running wild like usual.  I decide to turn around and head home.  It's just about time to get ready for school anyway.  I put back on my headphones to find Good Morning Heartache by Billie Holiday playing.  While it is one of my favorite songs, I don't remember switching my playlist at all.

I give yet another shrug, and head home.  As I arrive at the house, Nora and Ame are waiting for me.  I start stretching as I look at my smart watch.  I start pressing buttons on it so I can check my pulse.  After my stretches, I head to my room where I jot down my vitals.

I write everything down the old-fashioned way.  I write them in notebooks.  I keep a health journal in my desk drawer.  I finish marking everything down and I head to the shower.  It's time to get ready for another day of school.


After my shower, I head back into my bedroom to get dressed.  Something catches the corner of my eye by my backpack as I am sitting on the bed.  There seems to be a folded piece of paper just laying on top of the stand.  I head over and pick it up.

As I unfold the letter, I am surprised by what I am seeing.  The letter reads:

Dear Kalura,

You like lists, and now here's mine:

1.  To win your heart

Signed,

I look inside my bag to see if there's another note around.  Whoever wrote me this letter, they never left a name.  I sigh at the lack of control I have over some things in my life.  That's one of the reasons why I have to see a psychiatrist to begin with.

One of the things we deal with is learning how to meditate and let go.  That is what I decide to do.  I set my timer for a minute, and I focus on how I'm breathing.  Inhale.  Exhale.  Slow, controlled breathing.  The timer dings, and I open my eyes.  I see the letter, and I give a little laugh. 

I roll my eyes, and toss the paper in the trash.  It's probably just someone trying to prank the new girl or something.  I head out the room where Nora, Ame, and Smith are waiting for me at the breakfast table.  Today should definitely be more interesting than yesterday.



*******

http://thethinkywriter.blogspot.com/2016/05/the-list-seven.html





2 comments:

  1. Xander seems fairly quick and knowing - 8 points earthling

    Marvin

    ReplyDelete

Comments