Monday, May 30, 2016

The List: Ten

The List: Ten

To catch up:

THE LIST: CHAPTER LINKS

Chapter 1               Chapter 6
Chapter 2               Chapter 7
Chapter 3               Chapter 8
Chapter 4               Chapter 9
Chapter 5               Chapter 10




Guesses next to topics and under picture...

No One Will Guess It Was Me (Lisa)
Include 3 cities of Missouri (Kim)
Incorporate the words "baklava cheesecake" in your blog (Lynn)




The Piano Man?  Guess: Jay?












Sometimes in life, things don't often go as you planned them out.  Sometimes better opportunities come along.  Today just so happens to be one of those situations.

I was supposed to go to the homecoming dance tonight, but Nora has to leave town.  She says she has to go to to Missouri to visit her older sister.  I decided to go with her.

St. Louis, MO

"Child, you don't have to go with me," Nora told me.

"I know," I remembered saying.  "But it's not often you get a chance to go to Branson."

"No," she interrupted.

"Kansas City."

She shook her head.  "Nope."

"Um, Saint Louis."

Kansas City, MO

Branson, MO





She smiled.  "Now you got it!  But that still doesn't mean I want to take you away from the dance tonight."

"There will be other dances, you know," I told her.

"Yes," she answered.  "But going to the homecoming dance was something on your list.  Why would  you want to waste that by going with me?"

"Traveling the country also happens to be on my list as well," I reminded her.

 I could tell she felt guilty, and so I softened up the deal.  "I'll tell you what," I began.  "I will go into my room and make a list of pros and cons.  If my pros of traveling weigh more than my cons--and I'm pretty sure they will--then I will go with you to Saint Louis.  If not, I'll stay here at some boring-old traditional dance."

I figured by adding that last part, she would consider letting me make a pros and cons list of why I should or shouldn't go.  She bit her lip and agreed, which is why I am packing to get ready for a road trip.  Well, not really a road trip.  It's more of a plane trip because I don't do well on long car rides.

I used to be able to go on long car rides, but my body has grown sensitive over the past few years.  I get nauseous easily if I'm in a car longer than five hours.  A plane ride should be no more than three hours or so.  Either way, I figure I could use the time to text Ame and Cristi to tell them I won't be going to the dance tonight.

I know what will happen if I were to tell them something right now.  They would try to stop me.  Nora is trying to stop me from going, which is why I left the room to pack after I mentioned what was on my list.  I set up everything, and the driver will be ready in about fifteen minutes to take us to the airport.

I don't know what the weather will be like, but I decide to pack some sweaters with my clothing anyway.  Living down here in southern Florida, I get cold easily.  Half the time I have to walk outside just to thaw out.  I only take a few days worth.  I figure I can wash my clothes in a laundromat if we stay longer.

I have a feeling Nora wants to stay longer, and that she wants to take a trip to New Orleans to see the rest of her family.  It's been a few years since she's seen her parents.  I wheel my suitcase out of my room, and place it by the door.  I enter into the kitchen because I smell something sweet.

I see as Nora is taking a cheesecake out of the fridge.  She places it in a pastry box.

"You're bringing cheesecake," I ask.

"Not just any cheesecake," she answers.  "Baklava cheesecake.  I want to bring this home to my parents."
Source: www.lifeloveandsugar.com


"But won't we be in Saint Louis for a while?"

"No," she answers quickly.  "I know my sister.  She's so dramatic sometimes, and we never get along for too long.  Trust me, in a few hours, we'll be in New Orleans.  I hope you are prepared to do some homework from there.  I want to stay at least a week."

The best part of being in a school in this day and age is you can catch up on school online.  Attendance isn't an issue as long as you participate in online discussions and turn in your assignments on time.  Besides, I don't think anyone will notice my absence.

I might be on the cheer team, but Ame keeps me in the back for safe keeping.  She's a bit too over-protective sometimes.  I guess she feels like I will drown, but I believe in hope.  I think I would float in deep waters.

"Are you ready to go?" I look up to see Nora asking me a question. I didn't realize I was so lost in thought.

I give a smile.  "Definitely!  I am so excited to go."

With that, we leave the house and head for the car.  We are off to the airport.


DJ

*********

<3





:)



******

7 comments:

  1. I look forward to reading their adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to reading their adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh me, oh my! I hope that cheesecake makes it intact to Missouri. I thought I commented, but who knows, lol? It has been a chaotic week in Blogophilia Land 8 points, Earthling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Blogophilia aliens! :) I understand the difficulties you've been suffering, and I am so sorry it had to happen to you. (((EARTHLING HUGS)))

      DJ

      Delete
  4. I'm laughing... I wasn't in favor of attendance much either. Cool story! -Dave Raider

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me neither! I'm so much of an introvert, I probably would have done well had I gone to high school in this day and age!!! :)

      DJ

      Delete

Comments